Tuesday 22 August 2017

Judging a Book


As I journey down the publishing road of Family of Spies, I have started to research middle grade book covers. Since readers do judge a book by its cover, getting this right is imperative.

Yesterday, I met with Winnipeg's McNally Robinson who graciously shared their knowledge on what draws readers in, what sells, and the key features of an older middle grade novel cover.

We found some key similarities in popular titles. More often than not, the faces of the characters are not revealed, leaving more to the reader's imaginations. Certain colours seem to dominate: blues, purples, blacks. Mysteries do lend themselves to a darker cover after all. Each book title has a striking font which reveals a glimmer of the story's tone.

These stunning covers topped the list:


The Girl Who Drank the Moon was our favourite. 
I loved it so much, I bought it and can't put it down.


Then I found these gorgeous books this morning:



I have read many of these titles, and now want to read them all!

Which ones do you like best? 

No comments:

Post a Comment