Thursday 5 July 2012

Friend Déjà Vu

lawrencerspencer.com
You know when you meet someone, and immediately there’s a connection? When you catch yourself thinking, (or if you’re like me, with an inability to consistently control my inner monologue, practically shouting,) “I feel like I’ve known you forever.”
Kindred Spirits.  Soul Mates. Birds of a Feather. Sistas’ from Another Mother.
Whatever you are most comfortable calling that friend déjà vu moment, it’s that split second you realize you’ve found one of your peeps. One of your tribe. It's happened to me twice in the past fours days. Twice. This must be some sort of World Kindred Spirit record. If it occurs once more before the week's out, I'm texting those lovely folks at Guinness. (Not the beer people, the other ones.)

I love – no, I adore that feeling. If I was my Border Terrier, Zoe, I’d roll around in it as if I’d found a dead jack fish. Eew. Bad analogy.  
iteachkinderkids.blogspot.com
My husband says I’m a friend collector. I’ve decided to take this as a compliment. I love meeting new people. Finding out what interests them, what they feel passionate about. 
My mom is the same way. Long ago she taught me something that has stuck with me. 
“Always focus on the things about your friends that you like or admire. Try to ignore their irritating habits. Everyone has those - even you. Can you imagine if people didn’t look beyond your own weaknesses to find the great things about you?”
Okay, so I paraphrased. It was a long time ago. I was 8 or 12 or 6. I have no clue. But Mom’s words resonated deep within me and I’ve shared them with my own girls.
imprinttrainingcenter.blogspot.com
Focus on the good in others and that is what you’ll find.
Seems simple, doesn’t it? Sort of a friendship self-fulfilling prophecy.
Imagine if we all did that, all the time - with our spouses, our children. What about coworkers? I’m even referring to the ones that take the last cup of `coffee, leave the maker on to burn a stenchy ring into the bottom, and never make a fresh cup. Even those folks.
What if we took it further? What if we looked for the good in people of other faiths? Of other political views?
Could we find the good in your enemies?
And if we did, would we become friends?
teachmelife.wordpress.com


4 comments:

  1. Nice one Jodi. Reminds me of the little girl in one of my kids kindergarten classes who, when they were all asked what they wanted to be when they grew up,answered, "a friend finder."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that wasn't me? I wanted to be a "best friend" when I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, Jodi! Your personality sparkles in your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katy. I've become addicted to blogging and often find myself here, rather than writing my latest WIP. Thankfully, I need little sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete